Monday, July 30, 2012

contentment found at Nisan's

Romanticizing cafes is pretty cliche, I know. But there is something so soothing and grounding about finding "the cafe(s)" in your city. You feel at home and know that it is (they are) now your beloved, regular place(s). I had only really found them in two cities: In Madrid, it was Alameda on rainy days. In Philly, it was Higher Grounds in the mornings, the outdoor patio at Arbol Cafe on sunny days, and Chapterhouse in the late evenings. There was a plethora of amazing cafes in other cities I've lived in for a summer or more, but an amazing cafe and "the" cafe are two different things.

I found mine in Jerusalem today: Nisan's, just outside of Mehane Yehuda Market.



I was initially drawn inside by the sacks of spices, grains, and homemade pastas by the entrance. Once I walked inside and saw the glass jars of coffee beans, bowls of loose leaf teas, and little wooden square tables in a nook, I had to stay for a while. I asked for their best tea that's non-floral and non-fruity, and the lady gave me a nice, smooth black tea. An hour later, I ordered a cappuccino as well, which was creamy and delicious. Each mug came with a round sesame cookie which had a slightly sticky, chewy consistency.


I sat in a corner facing a booth, where a happy-looking older gentleman sat down with a coffee and newspaper. At one point, he went out for a smoke, but came back and continued to drink his coffee and read his newspaper. He reminded me so much of a content version of ahpa that I included him in my pictures.


The cashiers behind the counter were friendly and relaxed. The stream of people going in and out was slow and steady. It was funny to listen to the assortment of familiar songs from the radio station, ranging from Nicki Minaj to Gotye.

(teas)

(grinding coffee beans)

I stayed for a few hours, happy.

P.S. I also bought a sweet poster of the aleph bet on brown paper at the Israel Posters Center. This is a digital version of it.

1 comment: