Monday, July 2, 2012

figgy. burger. museum. new friends.

Just came back from having a burger, fries, and coke, which hit the spot :). I always seem to crave a homemade-patty burger in a toasted bun (real bread, not that weird fast food spongy stuff) with all the fixin's whenever I travel. I remember that in Seoul (Itaewon, to be specific) Seth and I were the only ones in the entire place eating the burgers with our hands... everyone else ate 'em with fork and knife! Silly silly.


Then finally found some fresh figs to try... decided that I'm not a huge fan... :/... but they are lovely, even when dusty like these. Again, all this for ~$2...


BTW. The Israel Museum is insane (photos next time). When I was there in March, I spent so much time at the Shrine of the Book that I was only able to run through the archaeology rooms downstairs before the bus left. I didn't get to step into the fine arts wing at all then. Goodness... this museum is HUGE! Their collections from other continents are quite impressive... the African artifact section is particularly notable. Gosh, and their modern art collection is extensive (more details in subsequent posts). I was pretty overwhelmed by the Jewish Art and Life wing... so many elaborate items! I particularly loved the wall of menorahs from different countries and the restored synagogue from Cochin, India.


I only spent about two hours at the museum today, just to get a lay of the land... next time, I'm gonna camp out there for the day and sketch some faves, study in the library, and wander and gawk some more. There was a neat exhibit on Hasidic Jews, which I combed through -- I learned a lot since I didn't know much from the get-go. I'm a sucker for travel sketches, so obviously loved the drawings by Dehodencq in a small exhibit called "The Jews of Tangier." I said hello to the celadon pots that always make me smile in the East Asian section. Can't wait to go back!!

(Later addition:)

I just got back from having dinner at my other roommate's friend's place five minutes away. She made pasta with zucchini, red peppers, an Israeli type of feta-like cheese, and some spices that I haven't heard of before, like za'atar from her hometown in the south. We also drank delicious cherry juice made from a syrup that her dad made. They told me stories from med school and I learned that many Israeli med students choose to practice medicine in other countries since the pay and quality of life for doctors are so low here.




Alex (this roommate) speaks Russian and Avi (the other roommate who showed me around the Old City) speaks Arabic, so we're hoping to teach each other a bit of the languages we carry with us... I taught Avi how to count to 10 in Korean by writing them out in Hebrew for him. He learned very quickly and recited them for Seth on Skype yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment