Monday, July 30, 2012

the kindest subletter

I just got a phone call from Idan, my subletter in Jerusalem. I've mentioned my roommates Alex and Avi in previous posts. They are very kind. Alex already moved out, actually, to re-join the army as a physician in training. Avi is hard at work on his dissertation every single day.

But I was so moved by Idan's kindness that I wanted to create a post just about him. He calls me occasionally to check in and make sure that I'm okay. At first, I was on my guard whenever he called since I've had some really negative experiences with subletters, but over time, I've learned to trust his sincerity. Once, I mentioned that I temporarily moved the desk closer to the overhead light to get more light when I worked. He called one day to ask if I was home, and when he came inside, he gave me a desk lamp. He had bought a brand new one for me.

In the bathroom, he left me shampoo, soap, and laundry detergent. In the kitchen, he left me dried beans, pasta, and rice. Just now, he asked me what I've been up to now that I'm back from Tiberias. I mentioned that I've been staying in more since my school friends have returned to the States and I'm running low on my grant monies. He urged me to use the meats he has in the freezer. He insisted that eating his food would help him, since he'd have to carry less when he officially moves out of the apartment at the end of the month.

Even from the very beginning, he and his girlfriend Karney met me at the light rail station to lead me to the apartment. They've been so responsive to questions. Karney even gave me a map when I first moved in. Now, I regret not calling them up over the past month to get to know them better -- I wanted to give them space since they had exams.

Idan's (and Karney's) sincerity and simple kindness move me to a moment of silence. It's kind of sad that this experience is so notable -- how wonderful it would be if it were the norm. After I hung up and put the phone down, I sat very still and lingered in my gratitude. I have been so blessed in so many ways this year. The Parable of the Talents (Matt. 25:14-30; Luke 19:12-28) is on my mind, and I pray that I may be mindful.

No comments:

Post a Comment